Fatimah Al-Masomah (p) and decorum of performing her ziyarah
Sayedah Fatimah Al-Masomah (peace be upon her), the daughter of the seventh infallible Imam from the progeny of holy Prophet
Muhammad (peace be upon him and his pure progeny), Al-Imam Musa Al-Kazim (peace be upon her), was born on the 1st of Zee Al-Qa'adah,
173 AH in the holy city of Medinah.
Her mother was Najma Khatun (peace be upon her) who was also the mother of Al-Imam Ali Ar-Reza (peace be upon him), the
eighth infallible Imam from the progeny of holy Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him and his pure progeny).
Prior to her birth, Al-Imam Ja’far As-Sadiq (peace be upon him) spoke of her status: “Mecca is God's sanctuary,
Medinah is Prophet Muhammad's (peace be upon him and his pure progeny), Kufa is Imam Ali's (peace be upon him), and Qom will
be the sanctuary for one of my descendents; her name shall be Fatimah. Whosoever visits her sanctuary will be rewarded paradise.”
Bihar-ul-Anwar, Vol. 48, Page 316 quotes a saying of Al-Imam Ali Ar-Reza (peace be upon him) about his sister Fatimah Al-Masomah
(peace be upon her): “The One who visits her will be rewarded with paradise.”
Knowing the manners and decorum of performing the ziyarah (pilgrimage to holy shrine) is very essential for the pilgrims
so that they can attain the blessings of ziyarah of the holy personalities. Here some of the conventions and manners of performing
the ziyarah in its best way are explained.
1. Before starting the pilgrimage the person should perform Ghusl (bathing).
2. To enter the holy shrine with the pure intention of imploring for forgiveness from Allah so that the pilgrims' ziyarah
is accepted by Allah.
3. To enter the holy shrine after performing Wuzu (ablution) or Ghusl (bathing) with neat and clean perfumed clothing.
4. While going towards the holy shrine the pilgrim should walk with peace and dignity with concentration of mind and remembering
5. While entering the holy shrine's precincts the pilgrim should first keep the right foot and while leaving should keep
the left foot at the end of the precincts of the holy shrine. While entering the holy shrine it is highly recommended to recite
the supplication to enter the holy shrine.
6. When sighting the holy grave the pilgrim should recite the salutations (salawat) on the Holy Prophet of Islam (peace
be upon him and his pure progeny) and his Pure Progeny (peace be upon them) and recite praises for Allah.
7. While reciting the ziyarah on the upper side of the holy burial chamber of Hadrat Masomah ((peace be upon her), first
face towards the Qibla and recite 34 times Allahu Akbar, 33 times Subhan Allah and 33 times Alhamdulillah. Then recite the
ziyarah of Sayedah Masomah ((peace be upon her).
8. Then the pilgrim should keep the right and left sides of the face on the zarih and implore from Allah for the fulfillment
of lawful needs.
9. Then perform the two rakah salaat and gift its reward to Sayedah Masoumah (peace be upon her).
10. When the A'zaan (Call to Salat) is announced the pilgrim should first perform the salat in jamaat (congregation).
11. The pilgrim should pray to Allah to grant everything good and beneficial to his friends and relatives and implore to
Allah for their forgiveness. He should regularly recite the Holy Qur'an and the recommended supplications (dua) and the ziyarah
narrated by the Holy Imams (peace be upon them) like Ziyarat-i Jameh-i Kabeer and Ziyarat-i Aminullah.